Welcome to my blog :)

rss

Monday, January 26, 2015

Modesty

A friend of mine pointed out a new blog post by Rachel Held Evans. After reading it I just wanted to stand up and cheer!!! I often do after reading something that she has posted, but this in particular just really left me wanting to jump up and down and point at it with lights or something.  Everyone look at this!  PLEASE!

 Modesty: I Don’t Think it Means What You Think it Means

I just have this to say ... Women do not need to be ashamed, or made to feel ashamed, of their bodies. Now this does not mean they are not responsible for their bodies, but at what point did we become responsible for men and their reactions?  Raising 2 daughters that have bodies on 2 different ends of the spectrum I struggle with imparting this wisdom. Especially when I have struggled with my own issues of body dis morphia. Throw in the question of "what is modest" and the game is not even fair.

I grew up wearing clothes that were several sizes too big - all the time. And now I see one of my daughters repeating that same pattern. There are lots of reasons behind wearing larger clothes.  While she is young I want her to feel comfortable enough in her own skin to realize that clothes that fit can be modest and flattering.

What is considered modest or appropriate changes depending on culture and context. It also changes from woman to woman, depending on body type, personality, personal convictions and season in life. While we may long for a universal dress code that would make all of this simpler, we aren’t given one. Perhaps this is why Paul encouraged women to “adorn themselves with good deeds,” and why the valorous woman of Proverbs 31 is praised because “she clothes herself in strength and dignity.” At the end of the day, the most important things we project to the world are strength, dignity and good deeds; the sort of things that transcend culture, circumstance, and clothing.

0 comments:

Post a Comment