Welcome to my blog :)

rss

Saturday, January 24, 2015

Getting My Energy Back

So how many of you out there use Timehop? That fun app that lets you see what you were doing on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram 1 year, 2 years, 3 years ago, etc.... It's kinda fun - like the ultimate Throwback Thursday.

But something that has struck me lately when I peruse back through what my posts were years ago - especially the posts that are 5 years or greater - were how much energy I had. I look at the posts I had on the weekends and I'm like "So productive today! Video duty for 5 hours and then made lunch for the fam before putting dinner in the crockpot and going for a 5 mile run. Did homework with the kids and then conquered mount laundry before making sure all 3 kids got their baths before I put them to bed." At first I was like - that must have been a fluke. But then I started seeing them all the time. How could I feel so differently? It wasn't THAT long ago was it?

Unfortunately over the past 3 years my streak of needing surgeries and running into random health issues did not let up or get any better. I proceeded to shed un-needed organs at a rapid pace.  I no longer have my stomach  (didn't even realize that was un-needed did you?), as well as one of my ovaries, and a small section of my small intestine has now evacuated as well. This in addition to only having one kidney, no gallbladder, and no uterus. I am now severely anemic - so much so that I have to have iron infusions every 4 months or so because my body just can't keep my iron levels up. In conjunction with keeping iron levels up I also have to give myself B12 injections once a week in the thigh.

I have just recently felt like my energy levels are coming back from a few of these surgeries. It's so hard when they hit you just one right after the other.  And some of the organs I have said goodbye to are more major than I would care to admit. Whenever I had my kidney out the doctor's were all like "Oh - it's all good - God gave you 2 of them and your body will adjust."  Isn't that fantastic?  And it does - from what I have read Liza (my remaining kidney) has now grown in size - probably double - to compensate for the work that it has taken on for Elvira.

But I still don't feel like my energy is anywhere near being able to keep up with what I used to be able to do before I had cancer. How much of that is age? How much of that is all the surgeries I have had? How much of it is the anemia? How much of this is just my new normal?

0 comments:

Post a Comment